By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group
Whenever a move is coming, we recognize that you've got a great deal on your mind. From informing your friends and relatives to home hunting to choosing a moving company in Austin, there is no doubt about it that moving is a big task, which in turn calls for a great deal of planning and organization. Feeling a bit overloaded? Don’t be anxious, we’ve got your back! Our complete moving guide has exactly what you need for a smooth and efficient move to Austin.
1. Check out your new community. Prior to opting to move anywhere, it’s usually a good strategy to go to your new community. Sure, you might head to all the sights, but don’t only visit as a vacationer. Drive through subdivisions. Notice where grocery stores, service stations and schools are located. Ponder your lifestyle and how it would transfer to this all new area.
2. Examine schools. Whenever you are checking out your new town, identify the schools which your youngsters will probably be attending. Look at the surrounding neighborhoods and in addition do some investigating online to find out how the public schools rank as well as what private school choices are to be found in the area.
3. Create a moving budget. Let’s face it, moving isn’t cheap. Even DIY options include a large price tag. And if you are moving a good distance, a professional mover in Austin will unquestionably make the process less hectic. Remember to add some extra for unforeseen costs, because they commonly find a way to arise. In case you happen to be moving for a job, consult your workplace to determine if any of your moving expenses can be covered.
4. Look for a place to reside. When you have kids and have investigated what school you would like them to attend, the choices of a neighborhood in which to reside have very likely been narrowed down some. But, regardless, a real estate agent can certainly lead you through the home hunting process. A knowledgeable real estate professional will show you homes in your choice area and also answer any concerns about the local neighborhoods.
5. Research moving companies. Selecting a good professional mover in Austin is essential for your move. Conduct your research by reviewing Google reviews and also the BBB rankings. Talk with other people who have moved recently and find out what moving company they used. Get multiple quotations from different movers to compare. Ask questions in case you don’t fully understand something on the quote and make certain you're comparing apples-to-apples. Keep in mind, if a quotation looks too good to be true, this may be a red flag.
6. Select a moving date. In case you are wanting to move in the middle of the the summer season, you should get with your moving company in Austin to verify your chosen dates as far ahead of time as possible. Summertime is considered peak season for moving, so schedules fill up quickly. On the other hand, if you are wanting to move during the winter or early spring, you might have your choice of dates and may also end up spending a little less. You will usually pay a premium for moving during peak season.
7. Begin collecting your moving supplies. By just accumulating cartons now, you will be a small step ahead when it comes time to pack. You can get boxes from your local moving company or from many big box retailers. Don’t neglect several other moving supplies, including tape, bubble wrap, newsprint, box knife, and so forth.
8. Have a plan for packing. Before you actually conduct any packing, think of your plan. It may be beneficial to look through your items beforehand and determine what you're planning to take with you and what you don’t require anymore. Have a yard sale or donate to a charitable organization the items you don’t want to move. Then, you can start packing non-essential belongings like basement and attic belongings as well as out-of-season items. And then, start working on stuff that you won’t require for the following month or so. Delay until the days leading up to moving day to pack items that you use routinely. Make certain and ask your moving company should there be things that they can’t move within the moving van, including live plants, flammable items and perishable food. You will need to make alternate arrangements for these things.
9. Pack your suitcases, as well. In the event that you will be on the road for a few days and nights in route to your new house, you'll need clothes and toiletries for the trip. Make certain and set apart anything that you will need on the way in order that those things don’t inadvertently get packed up and loaded on the moving van.
10. Generate travel arrangements. When you are driving to your new home, prepare your course and reserve your rooms in hotels beforehand. Similarly, should you be flying, select your airline and get your seats. Keep in mind that you may possibly have to stay in a hotel for a couple of days in the new city if your things won’t be delivered right away.
11. Transfer memberships as well as files. In the event that you have a health club or golf club membership, look into relocating them to your new community. Also, you can ask your child’s school to send their records to the new school and likewise for your doctors and dental office.
12. Clean out your storage unit. You might as well go on and go through your storage unit, too, and get rid of all things that you don’t need. Beyond that, be sure and alert the administration of the unit that you will be moving your things out and contact them for a second time when you have vacated the space.
13. Forward your mail. In recent times, it is simple to forward your snail mail to your new street address. Merely go on to the USPS website and fill out the required information. This is a really easy step, nevertheless it’s commonly overlooked, therefore we wanted to mention it.
14. Confirm your moving date with your mover. You will likely hear from your moving company in Austin a few days or a week ahead of your move date, however in the event you haven’t, now is a good time to go ahead and get in touch with them and make sure that your move dates still tie in with what they have on the schedule for you. Last minute itinerary modifications aren't a good time for anybody, hence it’s generally beneficial for you to make sure all the particulars to make certain everybody is on the same page.
15. Cut-off and set-up your utilities. The timing of this step is essential since you don’t desire to be moving out of your old house in the dark or moving into your new home with no heat or air conditioning. Contact your current and future utility providers and figure out what you have to do so that you can ensure a simple transition.
16. Coordinate a move-out cleaning. When you've got everything moved from your old house, you will likely be too tired to want to clean. There are cleaning services that specialize in empty homes so take into consideration hiring the cleaning done.
17. Let others know your new address. This measure may very well be accomplished once you arrive at your new house, as well. But you will want your family and friends to have your new address. Think about mailing a change of address card or perhaps an e-mail to let everybody know that you've moved.
18. Trade contact info with your moving van driver. Once everything has been loaded up and the moving truck is getting ready to head out, make certain and ask the driver for the ETA to your new home and for his phone number. Likewise provide him your mobile phone number. You want to have a method to keep in touch whilst everybody is on the road.
19. Arrange a handyman. Make certain and locate a reliable handyman after you move to aid in work like switching out light fixtures, making common repairs or hanging items on the walls.
20. Register to vote and acquire a new driver’s license. Updating your voter registration shortly after you move is sensible so that you can vote in any upcoming elections. Your community library or post office normally can offer more details of how to register. Also, obtaining a new license is important once you have moved to a new state. Look at the local DMV internet site to ensure that you have all of the required documents before you wait in line, since guidelines differ from one state to another.
Are you ready to move?
A-1 Freeman Moving Group in Austin would love to help. Simply get in touch right now to get started with your free of charge in-home or video estimate.
Request a free quote